Body lift and contouring procedures can help people to change their bodies and gain confidence.
These techniques can target specific areas of the body that a person wants to change. It is possible to have multiple lift and contouring procedures done at the same time, depending on the patient’s goals.
Liposuction is a technique that can remove deposits of excess fat to sculpt different areas of the body. This procedure may be performed alone, or along with other body sculpting procedures. There are four primary types of liposuction to consider:
- Ultrasound assisted liposuction: This type breaks up and loosens fatty tissue via ultrasound energy. This may make fat deposits easier to remove.
- Suction assisted liposuction: This type sucks out excess fat using a vacuum-like device.
- Tumescent liposuction: This type uses a special solution that reduces discomfort and bleeding. With this option, patients often only need local anesthesia to tolerate liposuction.
- Laser assisted liposuction: This type works to dislodge fat cells using laser energy.
Body Lift Procedures
There are several body life procedures to consider:
- Arm lift: This lift works on the upper arms.
- Lower body lift: This lift works on the abdomen, thighs and buttocks.
- Breast lift: This lift targets the breasts.
- Tummy tuck: This procedure removes excess skin that hangs in the lower abdominal area.
- Medial thigh lift: This procedure targets the inner thighs.
These procedures work to firm and reduce the overall size of the areas of the body that they target. These are invasive surgical procedures.
Facial Lift Procedures
Face lift procedures work to alleviate sagging skin to give the face a more taut and youthful look. There are three primary procedures:
- Brow lift: This procedure helps to smooth the forehead and lift the eyebrows.
- Eye lift: This procedure removes excess upper eyelid skin and alleviates lower eyelid bagginess.
- Face lift: This procedure corrects sagging affecting the jowls, neck and mid-face.
These are invasive surgical procedures. They require cutting into different areas of the face to remove excess skin. They may also be combined with other cosmetic techniques, such as implants or injections to sculpt the face and make it fuller.
Nonsurgical Body Contouring
Certain body contouring procedures do not require surgery to sculpt the body. These procedures work to reduce fat based on one of the following principles:
- Controlled cooling, also called cryolipolysis, targets and destroys fat cells by using freezing temperatures.
- Radiofrequency lipolysis uses ultrasound technology and controlled heating to target fat cells.
- Laser lipolysis uses laser energy and controlled heating to target fat cells.
- Injection lipolysis works to target fat cells using injectable deoxycholic acid.
Most patients can resume their usual level of activity after having a nonsurgical body contouring procedure. These range from noninvasive to minimally invasive. The most common side effects are redness, pain, and swelling. These are generally mild and only last for a short while.
Before having any body lift or contouring procedures, it is important that patients have reasonable expectations about the level of change these techniques can provide. Choosing a qualified and experienced cosmetic healthcare professional to perform the procedures is also essential.